Friday, December 28, 2007

Practice of Tea Ceremony

One thing good about yearenders is going over some notes and albums trying to assess where was I and what have I become.

I saw this, clipped under my Kanazawa, Japan venture. I remember how the practice of tea ceremony left such a profound impact on me. It was so spiritual that as much as possible I try to emulate.

I don't know where I got the notes...I really don't. I guess I'm grateful I made notes. hahaha Just beep me if any of you knows. :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Practice of Tea Ceremony

The basic principles of Chado (Tea Ceremony) are Wa (Harmony), Kei (Respect), Sei (Purity) and Jaku (Tranquility), and the essence of Tea Mind is the heart making the guests as pleasurable as possible. It will be of great happiness if one can touch the Tea Mind with a bowl of tea.

Host cleaning the tea container and tea scoop, although the utensils have already been cleaned in the preparation room. In this way, the host is cleaning his/her own heart as s/he purifies these utensils. Also, through this act, the host concentrates his/her mind.



Respect is the sincerity of heart that liberates us for an open relationship with the immediate environment, our fellow human beings, and nature, while recognizing the dignity of each.

Harmony is the result of the interaction of the host and guest, the food served, and the utensils used with the flowing rhythms of nature. The principle of harmony means to be free of pretensions, to walk the path of moderation, and moreover, to have the attitude of humility.



The last principle is tranquility. Free from worldly and impure desires, one attains a peaceful and tranquil mind. This is the state of mind that comes with constant practice of Wa, Kei and Sei in our daily lives.



No comments: